Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sunday, 27 July 2014

If you had asked me two weeks ago what I would be doing in Haiti, "Riding the motorcycle of one of my new Haitian friends with him and an Italian priest," would not have been my answer.  However, if there is one thing I've learned in Haiti so far...it's that nothing should surprise me.  We were just leaving the Feast of St. Anne yesterday in Cite Soleil, slums that comprise the most impoverished and dangerous area in Port-au-Prince.  Beforehand, we weren't sure if it was safe to attend mass with Father Enzo there; constantly warring gang lords control the area.  But we were told that it was fine, and we went in the early morning when the day was just getting started and there should be no trouble.  The sun slowly climbing in the sky revealed many things I have already seen here in Haiti--hovels extending in every direction, filthy streets full of garbage and sewage, stray dogs and pigs.  Small, unaccompanied children, half-dressed and barefoot.  Many destitute people who struggle to feed themselves daily.  But I also saw other things.  Two little boys holding hands and dragging a toy dump truck down the street behind them.  Warm smiles and words from every person to whom we said, "Bonjou."  Bright, eager kids who couldn't wait to talk to us, play games, and hold our hands.  A huge bowl of beautiful fruit that was presented to Father Enzo in gratitude after the mass.  It shouldn't surprise me, but the main thing I remember seeing in Cite Soleil was humanity and faith that persists in the face of all odds.   

No comments:

Post a Comment